HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New summit openshot sd, broken out the box... disapointment
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM
louie6014
Fork Horn

Well heres my update as promised. I recieved my replacement stand 10 days after contacting summit (6 biz days Mon-fri). Lots of differences in these two stands. I wont elaborate, I still have some small complaints on fit and finish on the replacement stand. I took this stand out and climbed in it this evening. (this is my full review of it as its suppost to function, and things I encountered) It sets up easy and packs light. Ive never used the quick stir-ups and they worked well. The back pack straps are like all other stands, not so great, but the stand dosent weigh anything so very tolerable. It was 92 out and I was sweating, this made for a some what difficult ascend as where you grip the top half is right near the cables. With my full weight on the top, I felt some slip from sweat. If your planning on a hot season hunt, might wanna look elsewhere. When I reached 17' I was impressed at the view. A bow hunters dream, Ide imagine shooting sitting being very easy. Standing similar but your elbow might get too close to the tree on the draw. I felt pretty secure, the platform is small, standing with seat up I have some room, but sitting my toes are on the edge. The two halfs dont "clank" together like Ive read on some other summit reviews while back packing, but again the top weighs nothing. If you were to bump the top half while set up I could see it dislodging from the tree easy. I was even scared to hang a water bottle from it as it may tip. It has no weight to the top so easily influenced. I climbed a harder bark tulip tree. Ill try again and secure the top with the supplied strap to prevent it from coming loose, or God forbid falling off. Definately will take a fair amount of practice in this stand. Additional notes; Im 6' tall @ 210#. I could see someone larger than I having more issues, as again its a smaller stand.