Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
New summit openshot sd, broken out the box... disapointment >

New summit openshot sd, broken out the box... disapointment

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

New summit openshot sd, broken out the box... disapointment

Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a climbing stand since the days of the original "Baker". And if anyone here can recall that climber, by comparison to today's climbers it was a death trap !!! The industry has come light years forward not only in comfort but also in safety and pack-ability. I now have one Summit (Viper) and two Ol' Man (Visions)/

Here's a suggestion to mitigate your concern about the top half "falling". I use HD bungee straps to hold my stands' halves together for packing. I use these straps to "secure" the halves to the tree by wrapping them across the support rails on the front side of the tree. That has eliminated any slipping , which form time to time did occur when I had to turn while standing in order to get a clear shot.

If you are a novice to using a climber a couple of hints ... be certain to keep the top half and bottom half lashed together at all times. Tie the top and bottom halves together just a tad longer than your "climb-up" motion length suing a quality chord. Then if you were to "lose" the bottom half while climbing or sitting ....and it is tied on both sides, makes it whole lots easier to recover.

And for sure always use a fall restraint safety harness. As soon as you step into the climber to start up, strap onto the tree. Move the harness as you go up or descend. Aggravating? Yes. But it takes no m ore than a few more minutes each direction and should you fall, you are OK. A harness should have come with the climber, but I have never found any of those easy to use or comfortable. Good, simple ones can be had for well under $100.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I know, Ive only been hunting a short time, but with all my outdoor gear I nit pick, as should be anything your spending alot of money on. Ive only used climbers and only hunt archery. That being said, Ive never left the ground with out a harness, and just the other day I got a hss lite (awsome). Plan on spending alot of time in the stand this year, my goal is to tag out. When I was tryin on harnesses at bass pro the other day I must of had a half dozen people come and tell me stories of people falling or hurting theirselfs in tree stands. Alll of which ended in improper use or... not wearing a fall arrest system lol...