HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzy vs. Rage
Thread: Muzzy vs. Rage
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brunsc
55 pound nd 29 draw lenghth
I'm not trying to make things more complicated for you, but I wouldn't shoot Rage broadheads with that setup. Rage is a good broadhead, but it takes a lot of energy to push that steep cutting angle far enough into the deer and I really don't believe that you have it.

Also, you said that you were shooting Slick Trick 4 blades. You're already shooting one of the best broadheads out there. I shoot the same broadhead and out of a well tuned bow they fly awesome. This also pretty much applies to any broadhead these days.

As some others have eluded to - you need to make sure that your bow is tuned. If it's not tuned properly your arrow is going to come off the bow wrong and you'll never get things worked out. Secondly, make sure that your arrows are spined properly for your bow. If they're too stiff or not stiff enough you'll never get your bow to shoot broadheads well.

Another thing with broadheads. You might know this already, but don't just screw them onto your arrow, put the arrow in the quiver and think you're ready to hunt. ALL broadhead tipped arrows should be spin tested to make sure that the point is perfectly aligned with the shaft. That is critical. Think about it: Putting a broadhead on an arrow is like putting wings on the front. If your broadhead is pointing ever so slightly one way or another then that broadhead is going to steer that arrow in that direction. Just a tiny bit off and you can miss by a huge margin. It's just my opinion, but I think that everyone should invest in a decent arrow spinner. They don't cost much and they make a world of difference.

To wrap this up, I guarantee you that if you get your bow tuned, make sure you've got the right arrows and spin test your broadheads then your Slick Trick tipped arrows will hit VERY close to your field points if not right with them. If you're dead set on changing heads, however, then I'd definitely choose the Muzzy over the Rage.

Last edited by LittleChief; 07-26-2011 at 04:37 AM.