HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22 hornet
Thread: 22 hornet
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

I have a few 22 Hornet's, and have owned several more over the years. It is a fantastic little round that will do more than you think it will do.

My reloading experience with the 22 Hornet is that basically the 22 Hornet casing has a relatively thin neck. And yes, a weak neck. It is easy to crush a neck with a jacketed bullet in the seating die. So you should take extra care when aligning your bullet. I like the Forster die best for the ultimate bullet alignment in a reloading die.

However I see no need to use an M-Die unless you are going to shoot cast bullets. I see no reason what so ever to need to bell the casing for jacketed bullets. Belling the case will reduce the life of the case. Or at least make annealing mandatory to get good case live. We also shoot cast bulets in our Hornet's and we do bell the mouth, but only slightly, and we do anneal the brass.

I have owned two of the Ruger 22 Hornet's. I was not satisfied with the accuracy in either one of the rifles. I am not a big fan of the Ruger accuracy. But for a hunting rifle it handles extremely well, and the magazine system is second to none. If hunting accuracy is all you are after then the Ruger will suffice, but don't expect much off the bench.

As far as the CZ is concerned. They are a prety nice rifle. They shoot accurate. Only problem I ever had with them was rough machinig of the parts, and rough actions. As well as atrocious triggers. But all that can be remedied.

Personally I would look for a Browning Micro. They make one heck of a rifle if you don't want an American made product.

My two favorite 22 hornet's are my Kimber of Oregon and my TC's. I have a Contender and an Encore barrel. The 22 Hornet is a perfect match for the single shots. Tom.