Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

22 hornet

Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Spike

I dont know which ruger hornet you are looking at getting but I have the model that is a copy of there m77/vt. It has a 24 inch barrel laminated wood stock with a wider than normal forearm for rest or bipod shooting. It is running 35 grain hornady v-max bullets at about 3100-3200 fps using h110 powder. I used redding regular dies to reload this cartridge with no problem at all. and most cases have been loaded about 5 times both neck sized and full length. Accuracy with my particular ruger hornet is sub 3/4 moa at 100 yards and with the v-max trucking along as it is really cleans out the ears of whistle pigs nicely.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's the difference between a 35 grain V-Max and a 40 grain V-Max in my Savage.

I use Winchester brass and get good case life, neck sizing only. I had one lot of Remington brass and had to throw them away after the second reloading.

100 yards

150 Yards

Last edited by Semisane; 09-02-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The major problems with US made .22 Hornet rifles is the chambers. US companies make these huge chambers: The Europeans do not.

Last year a tool and die maker friend made me a .22 Hornet reamer to European 5.6x35 specs. Recently my Sako was re-barreled and chambered with that reamer. With my handloads the gun makes consistent <.5" three shot groups at 100 meters.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

So i finally found one I really like, she came in today. It's the Ruger 77/22 with the green mountain stock with a 24 inch barrel. I got it all scoped and it shoots pretty nice, granted I don't have reloading dies for it yet but they are on there way very soon. I'm thinking about trying the Hornady 40gr v-max or the hornady 45gr sp. But I already have some hornady 55gr SP for my 223 rem so I might start there.