HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recoil chart.......
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
RaySendero
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by streetglideok
How funny Ray, thats my rifle, in 375! Same color laminated model 798. I think the 26" barrel is a tad too long myself, and have thought of cutting it back a couple of inches myself. How much did it cost? I did see they made a limited run of the 798s in 458, with a 22" barrel and walnut stock. When I bought my 375, they had several in 458. I nearly bought one, but as you found, I thought they were too light for that caliber, so I went with 375. I should say that IMO, 375 class guns are good in the 8.5-9lb range for handling. 416's, Ive yet to figure their ideal weight, but 9-9.5? And the 458s, a nice heavy barrel, and nearly 10lbs or so.

Also will add, I lapped my action to smooth it out some. Now it feels like it should.
WOW - Where to start?

The Rem 798 is a control round feed Mauser action. I purposely customized that rifle to be an easy carry-around DG stopper. When the front site came loose I also noticed how little barrel thickness was left at the end with that light contour. Was concerned that any drop or rough use could dent the end of the barrel. So cutting 3" off the barrel killed 2 birds - 23" was much easier to carry and the barrel thickness at the end was doubled.

Your right the recoil is horrendous with the rifle weghing just under 8 Lbs. But remember, that's was the concept for the rifle - Easy carry. It will kick the snot out of ya, but on the other hand so will whatever is coming at you - so take your pick!

Unlike shooting my other rifles, it took me a lot of practice to learn the firm both hands grip while pulling it toward me into my shoulder technique. Sighted in at 50 yds its also back dead on at 100. I can hit a milk jug at 50 and follow-up hitting another one at 25 now.

As far as cost; the barrel cut, sight drilled & reinstalled, swivel moved & the original hole plugged, plus the bolt jeweled - Well you would either laugh or cry. I get inexpensive gunsmithing - so can't help with what it may cost you.