HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recoil chart.......
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

As I recall, thats why alot of safari class magnums have the front sling swivel on the barrel, instead of on the stock, so it wont tear you up.
Im getting about 46ft lbs for recoil energy and 18 fps for recoil velocity for my 300RUM according to that. My 375H&H, Im getting slightly less energy but same recoil velocity. I can shoot the 375 alot in comparison to the 300, which I can shoot a fair amount. My 45/70 comes in at 38ft lbs for RE and 18fps for RV. Its a pretty nasty hit too. From all of that, what I can tell you is, the closer, or further over 3000fps bullet speed you go, and the lighter the rifle, the faster the recoil pulse will actually be. The 375, with a mild 2500fps, and a decent weight, 8.5lbs or so without a scope, some go 9lbs, its going to absorb some of that fast pulse, and turn it into more of a steady push that you can learn to manage very well. Now my 45/70, its not a high velocity gun, and is only throwing a 350gr slug out. The difference I will say on it is, its fairly light for that heavy of a bullet, so it throws it back at you before it gets moving. Only real way you're going to know how guns kick is to shoot them, and lots of experience.

Last edited by streetglideok; 06-04-2011 at 04:37 PM.