HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

The AR is a very versatile platform. To really take advantage of it though (i.e. not find yourself with a safe queen), you need to have a pretty good idea what you intend to use it for.

I personally use the AR for varminting and occasionally for turkey hunting, for casual target shooting (not to be confused with "blasting"), and often as a training tool. I own two ARs presently, a Colt Government Model (A2) and a RRA Entry Tactical. I've borrowed friends' Bushmasters, Olympics, DPMS, and kit rifles. Here's what I recommend you consider:

1. General Configuration. There's a lot of variety now compared to what was available 25 years ago when I purchased my Colt. A lot of that is due to the "Picatinny Rail." One now has the opportunity to mount optics at a reasonable height, as well as mount any number of accessories depending on the application. Not only are rear sights now detachable, a number of rifles also offer detachable front sights, which provide a much cleaner platform when using optics. Though the collapsible stock is viewed by many as "tacti-cooler" than the old fixed stock, its TRUE value shines through when one's length of pull may not match the length of the standard fixed stock, particularly for smaller-statured shooters (in my case, wife and daughter) or shooters who wear armor (military, LE, etc.). In my opinion, a six-position collapsible stock is worth the investment, as are detachable front and rear sights.

As far as barrels go, Ridgerunner suggested what's probably the best balance regarding rifling at 1:8. Unfortunately, you may not be able to access that without custom-ordering your rifle, as most of the rifles on your dealers' racks will come in either 1:7 or 1:9. 1:7 seems at its best with bullets heavier than 60 grain, while 1:9 seems at its best with bullets lighter than 55 grain. My AR-wielding comrades tend to confirm my assessment that our 16" 1:7 rifles seem to like the old M193 ball (55 gr) best, while our 20" 1:7 rifles seem to like the newer M855 ball (62 gr) better. Since most of the factory ammunition you're likely going to run through your "plinker" will be 55 gr M193 and its clones, you may not find yourself gaining much with a longer barrel (over 16") given that ammunition. Of course, our experiences have been with barrels no longer than 20" though. If you intend to handload 60 grain or heavier bullets, or if you have ready access to M855 ball, you might want to consider a longer barrel.

Regarding any other features, chrome makes cleaning easier. The AR is decidedly one of the most under-maintainable platforms in existence unless you're meticulous and proficient with picks and swabs. I generally recommend people stick with the mil-spec chrome-lined barrel and chamber. A chromed bolt carrier is unnecessary. In terms of magazines, the ONLY times I can remember having issues with magazines was on the firing line with the armorer's magazines - usually filthy and beat up. Stay away from the cheapo Chinese clones, stick with mil-spec or better, and MAINTAIN them. One doesn't need to spend $60 on an AR magazine to get one that works.

2. In terms of manufacturers, lots of things have changed since Colt owned this market. My Colt's always been a decent, though otherwise unremarkable shooter. Its upper and lower receivers have some slop in them as did most of the rifles I carried in the Army. I do like my RRA Entry Tactical, in particular the trigger, but it's a bit annoying at times having to reach for a punch set to disassemble it - it's quite the opposite of the Colt. My Bushmaster and DPMS-owning friends seem to end up doing trigger work, but I don't think there's much difference afterward. We did have some issues with some of the springs in the Bushmaster lowers, but that doesn't seem to have endured in the newer versions we've had. It's the old "Ford-versus-Chevy."

3. My recommendation. Since you're "plinking", I'd recommend a 16" 1:8 if you can get it (1:7 if you can't), collapsible stock, with removable front and rear sights and a chrome bore and chamber. Bushmaster seems to be the most common, but DPMS and RRA are both probably also within your price range - you're probably not going to see a lot of difference. I'd definitely compare the trigger on the RRA with either of the other two if you can, but I wouldn't let it sway you to the RRA alone, as you can upgrade the parts in either of the other two.

Last edited by homers brother; 06-08-2011 at 03:22 AM.