HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Large Rifle Primer
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Gm54-120
Giant Nontypical

The mod looks promising and the fired cases look good. I don't see any primer flow either which is common on hot loads with 209s in many guns. It kind of makes me wonder when i see primers that look like they are on the verge of failure, so its a pet peeve of mine from reloading.

Steel 223/5.56 cases are usually discarded and might work well also. The are usually Berdan primed but removal shouldn't be that big of an issue if you are modding the primer pocket anyway. They may or may not offer an advantage once modified but its a thought.

Another thought.
Is there enough case length left to make them a tad shorter and add a bit more steel to the plug.....maybe 1/4". The powder shouldn't be much further away but "flash channel/case volume" should be reduced but also add a bit more "meat" to the plug above the vent. It could probably be tested with a single thicker white nylon washer in the case pocket for a couple of shots just to test the theory.

Just out of curiosity, can you fill the powder pocket with BH209 and weigh the amount it takes to fill it or get a rough volumetric equivalent. And is that the standard Savage type OD vent or a smaller OD one you made?

BTW nice shooting too.