HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Large Rifle Primer
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Large Rifle Primer

A few of the shooters on the now 'defunct' forum, seemed to think that rifle primers are better than shotgun primers. They wrote that the rifle primers burn cleaner, and are more consistent. Since it has been like monsoon season around here, i allowed myself to try and utilize the small rifle primer. This gave me something to do out of the weather, and wasn't like doing chores. All my endeavors to use the small rifle primer, failed to ignite BH209 reliably. Everything i did resulted in hang fire, and no fire. I used the VariFlame, and the 25acp case, which were failures. I finally ended up with the powder right at the base of the primer; this failed, and also showed lots of blow by and pressure.

Had the monsoons ended, i would have quit trying to make rifle primers ignite BH209. Shotgun primers work just fine for me. The past 2 days saw us receive about 1/4 of our average annual moisture. Thus work on utilizing rifle primer continued, but with a change to large rifle primers.

Mountainam suggested modifying 223 brass to utilize large rifle primer. This is what i did.

Then to carry the 223 brass i made a breech plug with a big hole on both ends. The hex head for the wrench was made 13mm, because this is the largest socket that will fit into the barrel.

This morning i headed for the hills to give this work a try. The load was 270g Deep Curl in a Harvester sabot, pushed by 115g BH209, ignited by CCI large rifle magnum primer in the modified 223 brass. One of the primers didn't ignite; i think it was because of contamination by cutting oil. The second shot is the one that left the target, and went low. I am thinking that is probably my fault, but i didn't call it. Range was 201 yard.

No flame channel carbon to deal with, um, no flame channel.