HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - slug gun question?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SavageArms
If all you want is accuracy on card board use Hornady SST. If you want to take animals do not use this round, yes it has great accuracy but unless you are spot on through there hearts you will not get the animal. This round leaves the smallest holes imaginable. There is almost no expansion of the round on medium to small games Deer, Coyote. The round will do a straight pass through with out ever thinking about opening. If you want to hunt Deer, Coyote, or any other medium game animal do not use this round use something like the (highly recommend this round) Lightfield EXP hybrids these rounds leave massive wound channels and the animal will drop within feet of impact, brenneke, Remington slugger, or the Remington accutip. All of those rounds will dispatch the animal quickly and humanly. If on the other hand you a cruel mean SOB by all means use the high accurate ineffective Hornady SST and leave the smallest wound channel possible. And yes i hate Hornady SST rounds for this very reason i depended on them during a hunt once and got burned shot a deer in the lungs with one and tracked the animal for close to 5 miles finding very little blood in a lot of place and a lot of blood in pools this means the wound channel was not great enough to dispatch the animal very effectively the animal suffered and was found dead two weeks later. I will never buy hornady SST round, or shoot Hornady SST rounds at another living thing ever again the Hornady SST round is great for target practicing but if you really want to take an animal you should really get a round that is designed to do so and in my opinion that round is the Lightfield EXP hybrid series of rounds i have used this round in the field and when it hits it leaves a mark. and in my case the round dropped the animal where it stood.
I feel to differ. If, as you say, got burned by shooting a deer in the lungs and tracked it 5 miles, then you did not hit the lungs!!!! It is impossible for a deer, or any other animal for that matter, to continue to live with its lungs hit by a slug. You may have hit just one lung, or missed the lungs completely and hit the stomach, but not both lungs.
Yes, I shoot the Horn. SST's in a 50cal inline and have taken 27 deer, and over 50 hogs with the SST and have yet to track one over 125 yds much less loose one, not to mention track one for 5 miles!!!!! How could you have possibly tracked it for so far with such little spore? I agree with the not opening as large as several other rounds on the market, but if you put it where it needs to be and TRULY hit both lungs, your track job will be done from the stand alone!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 05-01-2011 at 03:17 AM.