HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Pistol advice...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 AM
fritz1
Nontypical Buck

S&W model 329PD Airlight. 4" barrel 44 mag., it is superlight, and accurate. The perfect gun for backpacking and hiking. I have one I carry as a backup weapon when I am bear hunting with my hounds. When you go in after your dog you never know weather the bear is in a tree or bayed up on the ground so you need a reliable, and accurate pistol that has plenty of power, and doesnt weigh alot, you dont want to be toteing more weight than nessasary when chasing hounds up and down mountain ranges through thick brush. I used to carry a Super Blackhawk, a great gun but a little heavy, esspecially if you ever put your hands on one of these. So far I have found this pistol to be the best choice out there for that, I have two super Redhawks and a Super Blackhawk, but for packing arround go with the Smith. Its a little spendy, I paid about $1000, $950 before taxes, but you get what you pay for. My boss who is also a hound hunter, cheaped out and bought the 4" barrel Taurus Tracker, no comparison between the two, it doesnt shoot like the Smith, the Taurus only holds 5 rounds compared to 6 in the Smith, and is lighter than the Taurus, it weighs 25.1 oz. empty, compared to the Taurus that weighs 35 oz. empty, he is very diappointed with it after holding and shooting this one. Also the Taurus is made in Brazil, the Smith is made in USA, that means alot to me, I try to buy American if possible, our economy needs all the help it can get.

Last edited by fritz1; 04-19-2011 at 04:40 AM.