HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In need of some duck recipes.
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Big Z
Nontypical Buck

Another wrap-in-bacon recipe:

You'll need some salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, red pepper...just whatever you like. Also a jar of sliced jalapenos and a green bell pepper and some bacon. And toothpicks.

Clean your duck/goose breasts and soak 'em in the fridge about 12hrs in saltwater with just a little garlic powder and chili powder, cayenne, whatever you fancy (a little dash of the extra spices mostly just helps give them a good smell when you're working with 'em). Take 'em out, wash 'em off. If you haven't already, de-silverskin everything. Now cut about 1" squares about 3/8" thick. And you don't have to be neat.

So you got your chunks of meat, time to spice them. I'm a believer in brown sugar so the first thing I do is mix some up with the meat; then threw in some garlic and chili powder, some pepper, maybe a couple other things....gave it a splash of jalapeno juice and stirred it up. Give it a wait for 8-12hrs or so, stirring an extra coupla times.

Now, you can slice up a green bell pepper into about 1/2" squares. Stick a chunk of meat on one end of a toothpick, then throw a jalapeno slice or two on, then another chunk of meat, and sandwich both ends with a piece of green bell pepper. Give 'em a bacon wrap (you can use as much or as little as you want--they'll taste good without it too) and either put 'em on the grill or bake them. I opt the grilling route.....when they're done, if you like, baste just a light amount of mild BBQ sauce on there and let it heat up a few extra minutes. Cheese also would not suck melted on these.