HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Better Brand of Bow/Type for Someone Tall?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
YooperMike
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, around Chicago there are very few archery shops. We only have the big box outdoor stores which are OK to buy from but to get something that requires precise measurements I'd rather go somewhere that has people that has a little more experience. I'm heading down to central Illinois next week so I may have to head somewhere down there to get everything done.

Mike, thanks, I thought I was a tall one, I can't imagine how you feel sitting in a stand! Do the Mathews bows not fit you too well? I've been told a lot of good things about them but didn't know if they will work for taller guys. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is a particular brand that you like. I'm strictly using it for hunting so I'm not looking for anything too crazy.
The new Mathews like the Z7 is not an option, and even the newest Z9 is just not my cup of tea. They are SOOOO small, just don't feel right to me. The Z9 does go out to the 32" draw, but it's still only 30" long, which is ridiculous to me, but hey, that's just me. The Conquest Triumph would be right in my wheelhouse in terms of draw length and overall ATA, but not with a $1300 bare bow price tag. I've shot Bowtech for the last 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about my Bowtechs, but their newer bows just didn't fit me like I want a bow to. I contemplated a 101st Airborne, but the draw was just a ltitle too much for me. My left shoulder is pretty much garbage, so the bows with the big hump in the draw are pretty tough. My new Maxxis is very nice, more even draw cycle than the 101, and it's long enough in the ATA to be clsoer to what I really want. Plus, it's FAR lighter than my current Commander.

The owner of the shop I go to in Monticello is a long armed sucker like me, and shoots 32" draw, so he and I are on teh same page when looking for bows, which helps. I would recomend getting into a pro-shop if you have the option to try a bunch of different stuff. But, it's tough, since very very few shops carry much over 29" draw. We're a tough group to outfit!