HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer snorting
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 10:35 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer snorting

When they snort they are alarmed or are trying to figure out exactly whats wrong with that bush. Either way it usually ends in a snorting scamper by the deer. You can try grunting, bleating or even snorting back at them to calm their nerves(however they then know exactly where that noise came from and it may result in many more snorts). Sometimes if they snort once or twice I just remain motionless and avoid eye contact with them. I have had on more than one occasion them cautiously go back to their business. Yet other times, especially does with fawns they keep locked on and blowing every 30 seconds or so, in these cases I will often stand up, wave...really anything to get them to flee the scene. However I would never suggest leaving just because you get snorted, it happened on Friday evening to me when I had 3 young bucks come with in a few feet of my ground location, all was good until the last of the 3 locked on my eyes[:@]. He than stopped and stomped, which stopped the other 2 and then the furtherest started to blow, this went on for a good couple of minutes until finally the first one circled and caught my wind which made them leave in a hurry. Not 15 minutes later I had 3 mulie does come out and I promptly stuck an arrow in the biggest one(which is what I was hunting that night). So you just never know what may happen if you just stay put and hang tight[8D].