HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time turkey hunter - help please!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Diesel77
Nontypical Buck

First find a place that you know has birds. Do some pre season scouting and listen for birds gobbling on the roost at first light through the morning a week or 2 before the season starts but dont go in and stomp around, stay out if you can and just listen from distance. Get a game plan to set up listen for birds on the roost, you can entice them to gobble with a shock gobble if they arent being too vocal with an owl hoot, gobble call, or a crow call, but I try and let them give their location away on their own if possible. On the morning you go out youll have an idea where they may be, listen for a bird and go set up to ambush him, I try and get as close as I can without bumping them if I can, like 100 yards or so, maybe further if the woods are open and its getting light out. Get a turkey choke, a hen decoy and a jake or gobbler decoy, I like soft decoys I can fold up quickly and throw in my back pack so I can move easy if I need to relocate. Get a box call or slate call, both are easy to use. I use a diaphram especially when the birds are close enough I can see the birds so I can keep both hands on my gun and so I dont have to move my hands to make the slate or box call. If a longbeard wants to play they are pretty easy to kill, sometimes they take some working but that just makes it more fun. Movement will get you busted quicker than anything so try not to move much. And make sure you get a comfortable seat or a vest with a seat, sometimes you have to sit them out and if your legs start crampring up or your backs starts hurting sitting still can be a real toture test. Dont over call, and remember gobblers call hens to them, you have to try and trick the bird into coming to an unwilling hen that is already with another gobbler. Its a real hoot when that first gobbler comes in strutting. Good luck