HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My horrible hunt on last day of archery
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
markmon007
Spike

Default My horrible hunt on last day of archery

This is my 3rd season of hunting and I had yet to get a deer. I have been hunting a feeder on private property the last couple months to no avail. As the sun started to set last weekend (Ohio's last weekend of archery) I looked to my right and saw 7 deer coming to the stand. I quietly aimed my crossbow towards the feeder as I knew that they were heading there. A large doe in the front stopped about 20 yards from me to the right of the feeder. She stuck her nose up in the air and then looked right at me. I didn't move as she stared me down. Then she turned broadside. I aimed and exhailed, held my breath and pulled the trigger.......Snap, all 7 ran off and I was confident I had hit her. That is untill....I looked at my crossbow and the arrow was broken and still in the rail. I made a stupid mistake and put the arrow in turned 90 degrees the wrong way and the string went over the arrow when I shot. Oh the agony. Now I will have to wait until next season to redeem myself. Lesson learned, I will never do that again.