Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My horrible hunt on last day of archery >

My horrible hunt on last day of archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My horrible hunt on last day of archery

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default My horrible hunt on last day of archery

This is my 3rd season of hunting and I had yet to get a deer. I have been hunting a feeder on private property the last couple months to no avail. As the sun started to set last weekend (Ohio's last weekend of archery) I looked to my right and saw 7 deer coming to the stand. I quietly aimed my crossbow towards the feeder as I knew that they were heading there. A large doe in the front stopped about 20 yards from me to the right of the feeder. She stuck her nose up in the air and then looked right at me. I didn't move as she stared me down. Then she turned broadside. I aimed and exhailed, held my breath and pulled the trigger.......Snap, all 7 ran off and I was confident I had hit her. That is untill....I looked at my crossbow and the arrow was broken and still in the rail. I made a stupid mistake and put the arrow in turned 90 degrees the wrong way and the string went over the arrow when I shot. Oh the agony. Now I will have to wait until next season to redeem myself. Lesson learned, I will never do that again.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like Murphy was in your back pocket!!

Better Luck next season!

Dan
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Souns like you should also watch the wind a little closer.

Better luck next year.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

Better check your cross bow over also. After dry firing it, it could very well did some damage.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
Souns like you should also watch the wind a little closer.

Better luck next year.

Well, I thought they were going to come in from the opposite direction, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

dam that stinks, you said you were confident of the shot ? learn how a deer reacts to being hit in different spots as well as missing . this way we won't have a confused
recovery post next year.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
dam that stinks, you said you were confident of the shot ? learn how a deer reacts to being hit in different spots as well as missing . this way we won't have a confused
recovery post next year.
Yeah, I guess I need to actually hit a deer first. I know now that if you miss, they run away like normal. God I am kicking myself.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know what scares me is that you said "I was confindent I had hit her" and in fact your arrow never left.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Spike

be patient, ur moment will come
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
You know what scares me is that you said "I was confindent I had hit her" and in fact your arrow never left.
I guess what I meant to say was, I was confident that I pulled the trigger when my crosshairs were on the dear. I didn't really give it much thought after that. until I looked at my crossbow