HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homework
Thread: Homework
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 AM
flounder33
Nontypical Buck

Default Homework

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Minnesota so I got the itch to do some shooting. I had never tried conicals in any of my mk'85s so I decided to do that.
The gun was a early SS mk-85 with a pre Green Mountain barrel. I have some UC shorts that are sized to .5035 that are a little snug but once they are started they load without too much effort. I guessed that 80 grains of Goex 2f might be a decent place to start so that is what I put in my tubes.
I set the target in front of my big snowpile and set up 50 yards away.
My first shot was about 5 inches to the right of the bull so I made an adjustment to the peep sight. Second shot hit the bull and I proceeded to shoot five more that made one ragged hole about the size of a silver dollar. My last shot went about 3 inches high for some reason.
I really like shooting conicals out of my White rifles but I have to admit that they honestly can't do any better than this old Knight.
It sure is nice when things go that good.
One nice thing about shooting into a snow pile is that the bullets will be laying on the lawn in a small little area when the snow melts. They usually look like new except for the rifling marks.