Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Homework

Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homework

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Minnesota so I got the itch to do some shooting. I had never tried conicals in any of my mk'85s so I decided to do that.
The gun was a early SS mk-85 with a pre Green Mountain barrel. I have some UC shorts that are sized to .5035 that are a little snug but once they are started they load without too much effort. I guessed that 80 grains of Goex 2f might be a decent place to start so that is what I put in my tubes.
I set the target in front of my big snowpile and set up 50 yards away.
My first shot was about 5 inches to the right of the bull so I made an adjustment to the peep sight. Second shot hit the bull and I proceeded to shoot five more that made one ragged hole about the size of a silver dollar. My last shot went about 3 inches high for some reason.
I really like shooting conicals out of my White rifles but I have to admit that they honestly can't do any better than this old Knight.
It sure is nice when things go that good.
One nice thing about shooting into a snow pile is that the bullets will be laying on the lawn in a small little area when the snow melts. They usually look like new except for the rifling marks.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, are you going to shoot them bullet again next winter?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

As nice as they look, no I donut think I will be doing that. Hopefully, I will be melting them and making new ones.
I was planning on getting set up for casting this winter but haven't got that done yet.
Art
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree, shooting conical bullets are a lot of fun. I like shooting them.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Excuse my ignorance but what does "uc" stand for. I like trying different bullets in my mk85 but when it comes to hunting I'm sticking with my nosler 260s especially since I bought a lifetime supply from Wideners.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

UC stands for Underclocked. He is a member on this and other forums. He designed the bullet. It is a 440 or so grain conical with a large meplat.