HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

"Your basically saying Montana is screwing the non resident. Montana has a surplus of demand and can afford to lose some people to gain a higher fee. Life isnt fair."

You got that right on all counts. I will believe till I die that pricing normal people out of the great privaledge of hunting elk/deer is wrong. If what is happening is right, then why not just sell the tags to the highest bidders? Each year it is becoming more and more a rich man's sport. No, you are not quite there yet, but it seems to be a slipery slope most states are headed down.

A couple of years ago I stayed in a hotel in Dallas. On my bill was a tax specifically going to pay for the building of the venue that the Dallas Mavericks play in. The way I see that is they want a toy to play with, but they want other people to pay for it. Well, I am a Texan, but that is just wrong. When states keep raising the price only on nonresidents, when the majority of the states licenses fees already come from nonresidents, that just seems wrong too. I guaratee you I would feel the same if I lived in your great state.

At some point, nonresidents will just say "enough" and choose not to spend money in those states that keep raising prices. I feel sure you are not there yet, but you are close.