HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 AM
beech18
Fork Horn

You say, What if the tags go even higher, your speculating.... I got a what if for you, what if gas prices go back to 4.00 a gallon or raise to 5.00 or 6.00 a gallon. Whats fair you ask? You want fair? The topic at hand with Montana. Back to supply and demand, its the most basic economic theory out there in the free market. Your basically saying Montana is screwing the non resident. Montana has a surplus of demand and can afford to lose some people to gain a higher fee. Life isnt fair. Correct me if I am wrong, every state charges a higher fee for non residents than residents. This isnt the first time a state let alone Montana has raised fee's. And it dont stop there, Some states like Wyoming a non resident can not hunt wilderness areas, is that fair? New Mexico sheep tag for non resident is over 3,000.00 dollars, but Montana's sheep tag for non residents less than 1,000.00 dollars. Is that fair?
I did not vote for I 161 that caused all this but no sence in belly aching over it as it is what it is, either come or dont. I thought the system was fair before I 161 but no one thought to ask me if I thought if it was fair. Time will only tell weather this will work for Montana or not. More than likely Im guessing it will otherwise they wouldnt have done it, I think they will be able to still fill there quota, and in time I think some, NOT all, people will get over the sticker shock of the higher fee and come back.
I know the SW part of Montana very well for elk hunting, great part of the state, go there every year.