HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting the "Black Rifle" itch..
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
I understand what you guys are saying, I really do, but heres the thing. I've been slowly shrinking my gun collection down. I had way more deer rifles than I needed and I had several I never even used. I'm getting into the mind set that Quality over quantity is much better. I live and hunt in PA so semi auto deer and varmint rifles are out for me. Basically this is a just a want and not a need. It will fill a void in my safe. No, I won't be using it much but it's still something I would like to have. I'm not the Rambo type, I'm not going to hang lights and lasers or anything else off of it. A nice optic and I'm done. I did just find out that a buddy of mine in Ill is the son in law of Bill Wylde. He's been giving me some good info too and has offered to go over whatever gun I get this year when I go out there bowhunting. Anyway, a basic AR is all I'm after, the only thing I really want as far as an accessory is an adjustable stock. Thats the only Rambo part I want. Simply because I like how it looks.
Well it sounds like at least you've given it plenty of thought. There are just SO many guys that buy an AR-15, then 6months later (or less) start getting buyers remorse. But for some of us, the AR-15 IS useful, and it's definitely hard to find a more accurate plinking platform.

Since it also sounds like it'll be primarily a plinking rifle, then I would suggest getting an 18" or 20" heavy barrel, flat-top model with a good trigger and free-float handguard (or on a budget, install a trigger kit like a JP enterprises trigger spring kit). Mount a bipod and a good scope. The "short" heavy barrel is still plenty maneuverable, but

Also, since you said you want an adjustable stock, I HIGHLY recommend getting a cheekpiece also. The adjustable stock is great for head up shooting (fast firing without much attention to accuracy)
it's fine, but for using a scope, the adjustable stocks are typically uncomfortable. When adjusted to a proper Length Of Pull, my cheek/jawbone usually rests at the forward end of the slider, so the edge digs in and gets uncomfortable after a few shots. Most "name-brand" telescoping stocks have clip on cheek pieces available.

Easy answer for a "black rifle on a budget", but still getting a quality rifle: DPMS Lo-Pro Classic ($800) plus a JP Enterprises trigger spring kit ($75), have a swivel stud mounted in the forend ($65 by gunsmith), mount a Harris bi-pod ($80), and mount a good scope (Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm AO $110). It won't have the telescoping stock you want, but you can add one for $60 (a down-grade to be honest, but you're right, it does look cool). That lines up for about $1200 for the rifle with a scope and bi-pod, ready to go...