HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Elk hunt
Thread: 1st Elk hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
flatlander88
Spike

Default 1st Elk hunt

Hello everyone.

Obviously I am new to this site, but I was hoping I could get some advice and clarity on some questions I have about elk hunting. I’ve tried to do multiple searches but I still have a few questions.

1. Do you take a frame pack with you when you do the actual hunting or just have a small pack and wait until you get your game down?
2. Once the game is down, is it best to bag the meat in to breathable sack and hang everything near by?
3. If packing the meat out with an internal frame pack, do you place the meat into a plastic bag to keep blood from getting all over the inside of your bag?
4. Is it OK to haul the meat out in plastic bags instead of cloth bags?
I am not new to hunting or backpacking but I am new to Elk hunting and hauling the meat out with a pack. I always like to have certain items with me whether I am going into the woods all day or simply just staying in the woods for an hour or two. So what is my best approach to being able to have a camera, knife, fire starter, water, first aid, GPS, map, compass, flashlight, extra socks, gloves, etc. and still be able to carry meat out?

Thanks
Flatlander88