HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia Senate Bill 850
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys,

I wrote letters the other day and got these emails back in return...

From Senator Mark Obenshain

Dear Butch,

Thank you for writing me about SB 850 regarding the repeal of the prohibition of hunting on Sunday. Hunting is an important activity in Shenandoah Valley and throughout the Commonwealth, and I have been a strong advocate of the rights of hunters, and of the right to bear arms more generally.

I have, however, decided to oppose allowing hunting on Sunday. Although the original rationale for the Sunday hunting ban is not as compelling as it may once have been, a day's rest from hunting has proven advantageous for other reasons, expanding opportunities for the enjoyment of public land for non-hunting outdoor activities, and as such, after consultation with hunters and outdoorsmen, I have decided to oppose ending the ban on Sunday hunting.

Thanks again for writing me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions or concerns.

With best regards,
Mark D. Obenshain
Virginia State Senator

Senator Mark D. Obenshain
P.O. Box 396

Richmond, VA 23218

(w) www.markobenshain.com
(e) [email protected]

From Senator Emmett Hanger

Thank you for your contact regarding Senate Bill 850 that would permit Sunday hunting. Though I understand in this busy, workplace-orientated world it would be nice if hunters had an additional weekend day to hunt; I must stay true to my beliefs and honor Sunday as a day of rest for all God’s creatures.

I know so many hikers and bird and horse enthusiasts that use Sunday to enter our woods safely. I would be happy to work with our hunting enthusiasts to see if there are ways to extend the overall hunting seasons so they can have more time in the woods as well but just not on Sundays.

I will therefore continue to oppose Sunday hunting.

Thanks so much for your input!

Emmett Hanger

From Senator Chap Petersen

To: Carter "Butch" Ammon

Thank you for your email in support of SB 850. As the chief patron (and an active Virginia hunter), I am proud to support our constitutional rights regarding hunting and fishing in the Commonwealth.

Senator Chap Petersen

For what it's worth... I really vehemently disagree with Senator Hanger's opinion in his email that he sent me. I have not written a reply just yet either.

*sigh* We Virginians have our work cut out for us...