HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
breechplug;my inline T/C's have 8 lands/grooves,most sabots have 4 petals,by indexing the sabot you can have all 8 lands in contact with the petals or only 4 in contact with the lands the other 4 lands riding in the slots between the petals(these load easier and can cause fliers,thou in my experiance not as bad what the op had)
and i would respectfully disagree that a clean barrel can't shoot accurately...........karl
I agree a Clean Barrel can shoot accurately on some MLer's. But how does your first shot compare to your next shot on a Fouled Barrel, how close are they? My first shot out of a Clean Barrel is'nt that far off from My Second Shot on the Fouled Barrel, but All My Shots on a Fouled Barrel are the same and that's why I like the Fouled Barrel for My First Shot as I know it's going to hit exactly where Im aiming. Sure My first shot will probably be close enough for a good shot but I'd rather be 100% confident on My Fouled Barrel Shot then 99 99/100% sure with My Clean Barrel Shot.
Also say you shoot and miss while your Hunting, now you have a Fouled Barrel and what are you going to do Go Home and Clean it then return so you have a Clean Barrel.
Again My shots are not that much different from a clean vs a fouled barrel, but for me I dont want to have to wonder weather or not my shot wil be close, I want to be sure it's right where Im aiming. And on a Fouled Barrel I donthave to worry as I know it's going to be where Im aiming.
Now if every MLer shot the same from a Clean Barrel vs a Fouled Barrel that would be Great, but it does'nt always happen that way. And sure your First Shot should always do the job and then there should be no need to shoot the next one from a Fouled Barrel, but ya just never know so to be sure I want all my shots to be on, not the first one close then the next one's on, I want them all on.
And YES if you sight in on a Clean Barrel for the shot to be shot from a Clean Barrel then that's Great, but that's just one shot, then you have a Fouled Barrel and Yes I have done this in the past. But from now on I do it on a Fouled Barrel so each and every shot is the same.
(BP)