Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas?? >

Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??

Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??

Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
My Triumph throws the first shot from a clean bore 1" high @ 100y.

I don't oil the bore until the season is over. In my experience, a clean muzzleloader is no more likely to rust than a clean smokeless centerfire.

I clean simply clean with Hoppes #9, finishing with 4 or 5 dry patches.

There are many variables that could affect point of impact of the clean/cold bore shot, isolating each of them and re-testing will be nice off season project. I'd start with eliminating the gun oil.

YMMV

Good luck on your hunt!
So you dont protect your barrel with anything after cleaning it and loading up? Just bare steel? How long are you leaving it exposed like that?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Good advice, and I do this exact thing with 777 or pryodex, but don't think it would work with BH 209? Never tried it because BH needs pressure to go off?
Agreed. Good point.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I Hunt and Shoot on a Fouled Barrel, the MLer shoots just where it's suppos-to when the Barrel's Fouled. On a Clean Barrel you just never know exactly where the Bullets going to hit, it may be close but I want it to be on, not close.
But when you said you (did'nt) use a Brush the second time when you cleaned your MLer that would meant there's still a smal amount of Fouling in the Barrel. But you also said the Sabot loaded (easier) without the Brushing, this does'nt make sence to me as it should have had a littler more resistance without the Brushing then when you did brush it?? So I cant answer this one......
If it was the other way around where you did Brush the Barrel I'd say your MLer likes a Fouled Barrel.
So I guess you'll just have to follow your Original Cleaning Routine and use the Brush and then see if this makes a difference and your Bullet hits in the same spot when doing so. I still dont see how the Bullet loads easier when it is not Brushed vs when it is.
(BP)

Breech - Believe me, I was just as confused about this aspect of it as you were. Only thing I can think of is that I possibly didnt run the dry patch enough to get barrel completely dry before alcohol patches thus perhaps creating a lubed surface when the powder from primers was shot on top of it???? I was using pretty wet solvent patches since I read most dont use brushes hence the reason I chose not to use the brush this time. The load went down "jerky" - slow steady drag then hit a spot and speed up then catch again. Only thing I can think of.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
If it was me I would repeat your procedure and see what it does then. With the sabot loading noticeably easier with the flyer I suspect something was up with that load. I would try the whole process again for peace of mind and see where it shoots then on a clean barrel.
Sj I beleive Sabbot (as usual) and you are correct - the load went down "jerky" - slow steady drag then loose and then it would catch again.

I guess I didnt have my barrel dry of solvent before firing the primers thus leaving a film on the bore. That is all I can think of.