HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Bonner1
Spike

Default Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??

Ok - so I cleaned my MZ (50 cal TC BC Triumph - shooting 100gr by volume of BH 209 with 250gr TEZs with supplied sabots) after last trip to range - brass brush with regular solvent, then wet solvent patches, then dry patches, then a very thin coat of hoppes #9 oil.

So Tuesday night prior to going to range wednesday I ran a dry patch through the barrel numerous time to catch the oil and then ran through some alcohol wipes to get it cleaned and dry. I then fired three primers and ran a dry patch down one way one time only. Next day I went to range and sabot went down perfect not too easy and not too hard. Pulled trigger and dead on. For those that have been following my plight/learning curve to get ready for this weekend - you can imagine how happy I was.

So I decided to confirm my result by going to range the next day. I have a real hard time leaving the barrel fouled on this gun - if it was a stainless barrel I wouldnt mind. So I decided to clean the gun and follow somewhat the same procedure:

So here is what I did to prepare (note the differences):
1. didnt use a brush this time due to only having shot once - so I just used solvent soaked patches ran through till clean.

2. Then dry patches

3. Then alcohol patches

4. Then shot three primers

5. the ran a dry patch one time only and one way to even out powder residue.

6. Cleaned breech plu thoroughly.

So I go to range today - load up same load. I notice sabbot goes down a bit easier today than yesterday but not much - enough to get my attention though. I am on a rest (no trigger jerk and scope is non-issue), pull trigger and its a flyer. 7" high and 4" to left. I was not a happy camper cause I thought i had it figured out. No way i was leaving on that note so I put in two more loads and both shots back on the money. I know I didnt jerk the trigger on the first shot and the only other thing i can think of is that i may not have had it firmly enough up to my shoulder. I just doubt it though.

So now I am going to go back to range with the dirty gun and shoot it cause I am hunting Satyrday with it and have to have some confidence on what this things going to do. The reason I was cleaning after everytrip was that I am scared to leave the gun dirty due to rust etc. But I am about to the point now where I will leave it dirty if that means some confidence and accuracy. That flyer really would have not been good on a deer.

What are ya'lls thoughts???

I really dont think its a primer situation (remington STS)

Would going to 110grains from 100gr help minimize the first shot variance?

I just wish I had more time to get this figured out.

Last edited by Bonner1; 01-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.