HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .375 Ruger vs. fox
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
This morning I shot a red fox with a .375 Ruger. The fox had been hanging around my wife's birdfeeder, and has been leaving his droppings on the sidewalk to the garage (I did not like that). It was a monster of a fox, weighing in at about 20 pounds! The 270 grain Hornady soft point gave complete penetration and did the job well enough without expansion.

I loaded a soft point in the chamber and had the magazine stuffed with 300 grain solids in case he charged after the first shot.

I hope to shoot another fox at some point with my .375 H&H so that I can compare the two rounds on game other than cape buffalo. The Ruger works nicely on buffalo, and I am happy to report that it is entirely adequate for red fox.
..... I'll bet the sweat was standing out on your brow for a bit until you saw it drop!! I can only imagine the heart-pounding exhilaration of such an experience!! Congratulations are in order for such a triumphant adventure.... Bigger gun next time, or are you steadfast in the .375's worthiness??