Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.375 Ruger vs. fox >

.375 Ruger vs. fox

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.375 Ruger vs. fox

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .375 Ruger vs. fox

This morning I shot a red fox with a .375 Ruger. The fox had been hanging around my wife's birdfeeder, and has been leaving his droppings on the sidewalk to the garage (I did not like that). It was a monster of a fox, weighing in at about 20 pounds! The 270 grain Hornady soft point gave complete penetration and did the job well enough without expansion.

I loaded a soft point in the chamber and had the magazine stuffed with 300 grain solids in case he charged after the first shot.

I hope to shoot another fox at some point with my .375 H&H so that I can compare the two rounds on game other than cape buffalo. The Ruger works nicely on buffalo, and I am happy to report that it is entirely adequate for red fox.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've got a ferocious gray squirrel stealing acorns out of my front yard. What cartridge would you recommend for this fluff-tailed beast? I was thinking it might be a good excuse to acquire a .416 Rigby...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I've got a ferocious gray squirrel stealing acorns out of my front yard. What cartridge would you recommend for this fluff-tailed beast? I was thinking it might be a good excuse to acquire a .416 Rigby...
I think a .375 with a tough bullet should be Ok on this type of thin skinned dangerous game. I have scopes on my .375 rifles but don't have one on my .416 Rem. A scope would probably come in handy in dealing with the acorn stealing beast.
I would make sure my insurance was paid, and try to have someone with a heavy stopping rifle nearby before facing the "gray death"!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

geeze and to think I always thought those foxes were rimfire class. Silly me. Wrried now that if a .375 Ruger is required for a fox, I'm thinking I best up the present compnay some. Figured I was covered with the .405 Win in the #1, but that's probably only suitable for a medium coyote.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might have been a bit over-gunned. I was really disappointed with this particular fox's behavior and thought a large slug would teach him better manners.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
This morning I shot a red fox with a .375 Ruger. The fox had been hanging around my wife's birdfeeder, and has been leaving his droppings on the sidewalk to the garage (I did not like that). It was a monster of a fox, weighing in at about 20 pounds! The 270 grain Hornady soft point gave complete penetration and did the job well enough without expansion.

I loaded a soft point in the chamber and had the magazine stuffed with 300 grain solids in case he charged after the first shot.

I hope to shoot another fox at some point with my .375 H&H so that I can compare the two rounds on game other than cape buffalo. The Ruger works nicely on buffalo, and I am happy to report that it is entirely adequate for red fox.
..... I'll bet the sweat was standing out on your brow for a bit until you saw it drop!! I can only imagine the heart-pounding exhilaration of such an experience!! Congratulations are in order for such a triumphant adventure.... Bigger gun next time, or are you steadfast in the .375's worthiness??
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

Time for you to get a 470 express for deer season lol
Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would imagine that if that 375 bullet had a brain it would have though something like "Did I just go through something? I think I felt a disturbance in the force!"
That bullet probably performed the same as a FMJ would have on that fox.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

.......LOL ,Don't let 'em get to you BU .Strange acting fox, dog, raccoon,I'll pop it with whatever I can get my hands on.I nailed the biggest prettiest true red fox I have ever seen about 25 years ago with .243 Dang near turned him inside out.Was going to have him mounted .But everybody was afraid somebody might see them.