HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bedding the stock on my 700ADL
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
You are going to solid-bed the action. You also need to solid-bed about 2" of the barrel too, and let the rest of it free-float. My rule-of-thumb is to solid bed as much of the barrel as the chamber in the barrel takes up. I use electrician's tape to tape off the barrel area I want free-floated. I use about 3 layers of tape. Don't worry about having too much gap between the barrel and the stock when things are finished... that's a good guarantee you are not going to get barrel/stock interference. Simply remove enough stock to get a clearance between the taped barrel and the stock before doing the bedding...
Good description.

CC - Dry fit everything first. Put the barreled action into the bedding compound slowly. The compound should ooze out a bit. When it comes time to remove the barreded action from the cured bedding it will be tight and will probably be difficult to get them seperated the first time. This is normal. Try to resist using the barrel too much as a lever to get them apart. After you get the job apart and cleaned up you will be a happy guy. Don't worry about a couple of tiny imperfections when you pull it out of the cured bedding.

Stress relief activities to prepare for the glass bedding is should be included in the instructions by Brownell!