HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
jahall
Spike

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Muley70
I'm an outfitter here in Montana and our state has no min caliber requirements, however, if you say you are bringing a .22 I wouldn't let you hunt with us. Every outfitter knows his area and the average range most bulls are shot at. I don't know of any outfitter that is going to be happy about anything less than a .270. At the end of the day a dead shot with a lighter caliber and self disciple will have more success than a knuckle head with a .338 rum. Personally, I am a big fan of heavier calibers and magnums, and I hold to the old theory of shoot as much gun as you can handle accurately. Usually, most of our hunters ask me what I think they should bring, and I tell them the weapon they are most comfortable with. 99.99% of all hunters never get involved in praticing stess shooting, rather on a bench. Some of our Army guys have and do practice stress shooting. A guy who routinely practices off the bench in Wisconsin at 100 yards, may have some difficulty with shot placement at 300 yards having just humped up a steep slope in 10 degree weather. Shot placement becomes critical.

This guy shares the same feelings as me. The bigger the gun the better but more importantly the bullet still has to hit the right spot. A 270 win in light but has a lot of elk under its belt. I have seen several elk shot with a .243 or 6mm and they went down fast but these shots were perfect lung shot every time. www.coloradoelkcamp.com