HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First shoot with the Wolf
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Default First shoot with the Wolf

Earlier this fall I bought a CVA Wolf from a member of this forum, but I hadn't had a chance to shoot it til now. I wanted to get it set up for my dad to use for deer season (starting this week). I had a shipment of 250 Gold Dots in the mail, but unfortunately they did not arrive in time so I had to use what I had on hand:

.40 cal 200 XTP's with the MMP blue .50/.40 sabot. So I loaded up some Lane's tubes with 70 grains T7 3f and went out.

It was starting to get dark, and it had started snowing hard with a 30 - 40 mile/hour wind. Not the best conditions to shoot, but I had to at least get it dialed in close so my dad could take the gun out the next day.

Range was 50 yards. Not the greatest group, but shooting with high winds and snow blowing in your face is kind of tough. I'm sure that with better conditions and some load developent, this gun will shoot very well. But it was good enough to hunt with, so I just adjusted the scope a few clicks to the left.

I am very impressed with this little carbine. I have an older CVA, and this new design is light-years ahead of my old one in terms of build quality, fit and finish, and trigger. The trigger on the Wolf is very nice. The jury is still out on accuracy though, as my old CVA shoots the lights out, but it looks like the potential is there for good accuracy. With this load, recoil is minimal, even with the light rifle - kind of like shooting a .223. Great handy little carbine for tree-stand hunting.

Any other load ideas out there?