HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I want your opinion on Pa's new proposals!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 AM
MeatHunter2
Spike

That's only because, as you've told people many times over the years under various names Larry, you hunt the hill behind your house. Now it's my understanding that your wheelchair bound so don't take this the wrong way, but you have to move around to other locations. So many hunters hunt the same couple acres year after year and then complain when they don't see anything, comparing it to times when they were spoiled by an overabundance of deer.

"Back then we were told that there weren't enough buck to breed the doe,"
He never said that, he said there weren't enough older buck doing the breeding. Yearlings were, and while they can complete the task, they loose lots of energy and fat stores while doing a job the older bucks should be doing, as in a healthy herd.

"there was a problem with late born fawns"
There was and the fawn study showed this.

"we needed to improve the buck age structure."
And we did so by the success of antler restrictions protecting some of those yearlings which dominated the harvest; and producing a large 2.5 class as evidenced in the harvest where they once made up around 18% of the harvest and now are about 50% of it.

Now I know your favorite pastime is to put a spin on reality to suit your ego and to save face, and your free to do that. But don't assume all hunters are ignorant of the facts and will believe your every word. Hunters on Pa. websites didn't buy into it and I don't think the nations hunters are any more gullible either. It's undeniable that PA is now producing more of these bigger buck, just as they said it would. Even the president of the taxidermists assoc. said they have.