HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cooking
Thread: Cooking
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM
tonyf84
Spike

Originally Posted by JoeA
1. Brine deboned breats of a duck or goose (even sky carp-snows) for 3-4 hours in salted water.

2. Drain the breasts and soak for 2-3 hrs in apple juice or orange juice with soy sauce or worcestshire sauce, plus whatever herbs & seasonings strike your fancy.

3. Grill or broil until rare-med.rare

4. Salt & pepper to taste, or use favorite steak or bbq sauce.

The meat doesn't get too "apple-y" or "orange-y". Many people who don't like game have enjoyed shish kabobs of this. Even works with muddy tastking ducks.

"...sky carp-snows." LMAO!!!!!

You know, brining your bird is the right thing to do! There's a reason they teach you that in culinary school. But you can cut 2-3 hours off your method above. (bear with me, I'll make my point shortly) Brining works through osmosis, moving salt water (brine) from the high concentration area to the low concentration area and in the process breaks down proteins blocking the return of some of the brine. This lets the meat become more tender, salty and more flavorful, and leaves some water in the cells which in turn makes it juicy.

Point being, if you were to replace the water in your step one with the juice from step 2 you'll get the brining and flavoring all in one step and reduce the time required to achieve it. That's how professional chefs do it. Give it a whirl.