HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rookie Hunter needs advice
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
steve25
Fork Horn

If I was buying a new deer rifle right now I would have to go with the Savage edge package price is around $275-350 for a .270. I know the scope that comes in that package isn't the best but you can alway upgrade it now or later depending on your finances. To be honest I have had high dollar scopes and to me there just isn't that much of a difference because most of my shots are 100yrds or under. I know the gun is capable of more just my hunting setups are like that. I know a few people that have bought this package gun and are very pleased.

As for a bow that is a little more trickier you have to find one that fits "you" and feels good to "you".

Right now I think Bowtech has the best deal on the market $599 for the Assassin RAK (ready aim kill) package. You get a everything you need expect arrows and release. The bow is 30.5 axle to axle with a brace height of 7 or 7.5" with an IBO speed of 333fps but they do have a stiff draw curve so I would suggest a 60lb model for someone new to hunting.

It is hard to say this or any bow is the bow you should get because some people like short Axle to Axle lengths some like long ATA lengths and the list goes on...... so I would suggest go to a few bow shops get measure for draw length then try as many different bows that you can and see what fits you best as far as feel and go from there. Again shoot as many different bow as can even if you really like say the 2nd one because the next one my even fell better! Because if you get something that doesn't fit you then it will turn you off to bowhunting.