HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rookie Hunter needs advice
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
blueahlijr
Fork Horn

Welcome to the Website! And its awsome to see more people getting into the Hunting World!
Now to awnser your questions.....
Many people have diffrent opinions on Bows/Guns of choice, So heres my saying.

For a Bow, I would go with a used Hoyt or fred Bear. Like Ksharvester said, You can get a great used bow for pretty cheap. I have saw many newer Models on craigslist going around $600 and Lower, with acc on them.

Now for gun wise, Go with a MuzzleLoader, TC Omega .50cal is a Great gun! and should be within you price range at about $550 or something, and thats the package. IMO buy a New one, then you will know everything you would need to know about the gun and will know that there is nothing wrong with the gun.

I dont really know the Hunting laws in Indiana, but if their like Ohio, You can use a MuzzleLoader during gun (Only need one shot anyway). So that would have you set for a full season of hunting.

As for Other hunting Gear...
-Good Boots! Rubber ones are best IMO
-A good set of hunting clothing for Warm/mild/cold, Also if your like me and care about scent, Get Scent Lok.
-Make sure you buy a good Range rinder for when your Bow hunting, Unless your a great guessamater.
-A good Trail Cam comes in handy during the off season and also during season, to find out when/where them monster are moving.
-A good treestand! Depending on if you want to sit in the same spot every day or be able to move around to diffrent spots with less of a hasal, Get either a Climber or a Hang on.
---For Hang ons, Lone Wolf makes amazing stands.
---For Climbers, Summit makes the best all around!
---I preffer a climber over anything, they are comftorable, more portable, and easy to use.

Now i believe you are set for life

Good luck to the rest of your Hunting Life! Dont Be afraid to keep us all updated on how you do this season!
~Blue