HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scope mounts with ability to see iron sights.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
my opinion is to decide which sight you want to use, and set the gun up for it. See through mounts elevate the scope out of its natural sighting plane. Your cheek should be tight to the stock. For most muzzle loading situations, a relatively low magnification (I prefer 1.5-5 variable, or even just a fixed 2.5) offers plenty of magnification. The lower magnifications offer super fast pick up in fast situations or very low light. I dont think there is a see through mount set up that can be anywhere near as sturdy as a properly mounted standard mount.
Agreed, ESPECIALLY on the cheek weld part, but I don't agree on the the fixed power part. I usually don't have a shot over 100 yards (and I have no problem taking shots out to 150 with iron sights), but there was a situation I was in just recently where I would thankful for more than 2.5x magnification. The shot was only about 140 yards, but it was in the mountains and there were a lot of trees but also a lot of openings. There was a 6-inch gap in front of me that allowed me to see all the way down to where he was heading. Lost sight of him but knew his direction. Held my gun in that gap and waited. When he appeared, I had the shot. If I was using less than...I think it was 7x at the time...I don't know that I would have been able to take the shot.

Sometimes it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
go with a variable scope with around 2X on the low side, its faster than irons and you'll shoot much more consistant.RR
I dunno if I would say 2x is faster than irons. I don't think anything is faster than irons, except maybe a 1x red dot sight like an Aimpoint. For me, using irons is the closest you can get to having a rifle be an extension of yourself. You are certainly aiming, but there, FOR ME, is no thought process involved in the shot. If all is clear, point 'n shoot. Throw a reticle in there and I start thinking about exactly where it is. Not that I don't find scopes useful...

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.