Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Scope mounts with ability to see iron sights. >

Scope mounts with ability to see iron sights.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope mounts with ability to see iron sights.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

Question Scope mounts with ability to see iron sights.

OK, so I am buying by first scope for deer hunting with a muzzleloader. What are the pros and cons of scope rings with or without the ability to see the iron sights underneath the scope? Is it just a personal preference or do an overwhelming majority set it up a particular way.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

my opinion is to decide which sight you want to use, and set the gun up for it. See through mounts elevate the scope out of its natural sighting plane. Your cheek should be tight to the stock. For most muzzle loading situations, a relatively low magnification (I prefer 1.5-5 variable, or even just a fixed 2.5) offers plenty of magnification. The lower magnifications offer super fast pick up in fast situations or very low light. I dont think there is a see through mount set up that can be anywhere near as sturdy as a properly mounted standard mount.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
my opinion is to decide which sight you want to use, and set the gun up for it. See through mounts elevate the scope out of its natural sighting plane. Your cheek should be tight to the stock. For most muzzle loading situations, a relatively low magnification (I prefer 1.5-5 variable, or even just a fixed 2.5) offers plenty of magnification. The lower magnifications offer super fast pick up in fast situations or very low light. I dont think there is a see through mount set up that can be anywhere near as sturdy as a properly mounted standard mount.
Very well stated.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

As said with see thru mounts, it's hard to get a good cheek weld because the scope is up so high. I have to raise my cheek off of the stock sometimes. Would I want that on target rifle? No. However, I do use them on my muzzle loader and like them a lot. In a hunting situation I don't find it that hard to raise my cheek up a little, and with my muzzle loader I like to be able to sight my open sights in for close range shots, and have the scope sighted in at 100 yards. I hunt with several guys that use them on their rifles and love them, and several others that have tried them and don't like them. I'm more on the don't like them side, but it's a personal preference. I'm just not crazy about them on a rifle, but I do like them on my muzzle loader.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

My first ever deer gun was a Mossberg 500 .20 gauge. I had a Simmons scope (nothing fancy, maybe $50 twenty years ago) Anyway I go the see through mounts on that gun and the scope was too high. I had to bottom the crosshairs all the way out and the scope still shot a little high. After that I never used them agani.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do as RR stated and go with a variable with a variable scope with a 1x or 2x on the low end. If you go with a 1x you can literally shoot with both eyes open which is even better than using iron sights for up close shots.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Agreed, ESPECIALLY on the cheek weld part, but I don't agree on the the fixed power part. I usually don't have a shot over 100 yards (and I have no problem taking shots out to 150 with iron sights), but there was a situation I was in just recently where I would thankful for more than 2.5x magnification. The shot was only about 140 yards, but it was in the mountains and there were a lot of trees but also a lot of openings. There was a 6-inch gap in front of me that allowed me to see all the way down to where he was heading. Lost sight of him but knew his direction. Held my gun in that gap and waited. When he appeared, I had the shot. If I was using less than...I think it was 7x at the time...I don't know that I would have been able to take the shot.

Sometimes it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
go with a variable scope with around 2X on the low side, its faster than irons and you'll shoot much more consistant.RR
I dunno if I would say 2x is faster than irons. I don't think anything is faster than irons, except maybe a 1x red dot sight like an Aimpoint. For me, using irons is the closest you can get to having a rifle be an extension of yourself. You are certainly aiming, but there, FOR ME, is no thought process involved in the shot. If all is clear, point 'n shoot. Throw a reticle in there and I start thinking about exactly where it is. Not that I don't find scopes useful...

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Do as RR stated and go with a variable with a variable scope with a 1x or 2x on the low end. If you go with a 1x you can literally shoot with both eyes open which is even better than using iron sights for up close shots.
LOL, I shoot with both eyes open regardless of power. It's weird...I dunno how I do it. I think my right eye is just that dominant. The left is pretty useless I think.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

here is a question. a few years back a buddy had a 30/30 with a scope mount in a hinge. it would sit off to the side and you could use the open sights, when you need the scope swing it over to the top. I have always looked for that mount if anyone knows what I am talking about let me know. I would love to give it a try.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
here is a question. a few years back a buddy had a 30/30 with a scope mount in a hinge. it would sit off to the side and you could use the open sights, when you need the scope swing it over to the top. I have always looked for that mount if anyone knows what I am talking about let me know. I would love to give it a try.
Try googling "scope side mount" and see what you come up with. Put your gun model in there as well, might help narrow it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.