HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer vs. 30-06
Thread: Deer vs. 30-06
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
littlekid
Spike

Default Deer vs. 30-06

Two weekends ago I shot a small buck and he dropped where he stood, this morning I shot a decent doe (doe week) and she ran approx. 20 yds. I'm not worried about the difference in how they reacted when hit but why my round did not pass through them.
I can understand the buck not having an exit wound, I hit him in the shoulder region, shattering it, and a fragment severed his spine (hence no exit wound). The doe I hit 2" aft the shoulder, and 5" above her breastline. She ran hard so I knew I made good contact but when I got down to find blood, I found a quarter sized blood spot (with meat) and the copper-jacket of my round lying there with no blood on it. From there I took my time tracking(15yds for 30 mins), becuase I could only find pin-drops of blood in a zigzag through thick stuff.
My question, what is going on? I shoot a 30-06 with 180gr. Federal premiums. I've shot this same round for years and have never seen this before. I'm wondering if the box of rounds I'm using are old and the jacket has somehow 'defused' from the lead core? Any ideas?