Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer vs. 30-06

Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Spike

Default Deer vs. 30-06

Two weekends ago I shot a small buck and he dropped where he stood, this morning I shot a decent doe (doe week) and she ran approx. 20 yds. I'm not worried about the difference in how they reacted when hit but why my round did not pass through them.
I can understand the buck not having an exit wound, I hit him in the shoulder region, shattering it, and a fragment severed his spine (hence no exit wound). The doe I hit 2" aft the shoulder, and 5" above her breastline. She ran hard so I knew I made good contact but when I got down to find blood, I found a quarter sized blood spot (with meat) and the copper-jacket of my round lying there with no blood on it. From there I took my time tracking(15yds for 30 mins), becuase I could only find pin-drops of blood in a zigzag through thick stuff.
My question, what is going on? I shoot a 30-06 with 180gr. Federal premiums. I've shot this same round for years and have never seen this before. I'm wondering if the box of rounds I'm using are old and the jacket has somehow 'defused' from the lead core? Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

No clue. Generally 180 gr bullets don't come apart on deer like that. I never got into "premium" bullets for deer. Plain old 150 or 180 always worked fine for me.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Spike

I shoot premiums because I'm always looking for "keyhole" patterns when I'm practicing/sighting in (out to 300-400yds). I figure, if I can achieve this when relaxed, I can acheive similar when my heart is racing and shaking like leak when the "big" one steps out. The Premiums have been the only ones that have been able to produce the same results time and time again. But, I'm concerned about the past two shots.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

im sure everyones gonna bash me for the round i use but o well. i have always shot remington 180 gr core lokts in my 30 06 and have always been extremely happy with them. Its rare that I dont have a pass through and i have never has a complaint
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year so far all ive use is a 30-06 with 150 Rem. core lokts. Only one doe ran because i hit her about 4'' farther back than id like,she went about 50 yards but the blood trail was so heavy Stevie Wonder could follow it lol but from ranges 50 yards to 130 yards all were DRT's not even a flinch. I have recovered 2 bullets from the deer but no fragmentation at all. So i dont know why the 180 gr. bullets would fragment.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i believe it has to do with how fast the bullet is going upon impact, and what velocity the bullet is designed to open at?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlekid View Post
I shoot premiums because I'm always looking for "keyhole" patterns when I'm practicing/sighting in (out to 300-400yds). I figure, if I can achieve this when relaxed, I can acheive similar when my heart is racing and shaking like leak when the "big" one steps out. The Premiums have been the only ones that have been able to produce the same results time and time again. But, I'm concerned about the past two shots.
I don't understand your term "keyhole" pattern. The term keyhole generally means your bullet isn't spinning straight and flying true during flight
and is smacking the target sideways causing it to breakup immediatly on impact.. The bullet is actually tumbling.That could be your problem.I don't think you should be questioning the caliber, but your choice of bullet style
and or bullet weight for the particular rifle twist your gun has, at distances
you shoot.Also it may have alot to do with velocity of your bullet your shooting. If the bullet is going to slow it will tumble as well.Are you shooting TBBC bullets in the Federal premiums?

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kyslayer View Post
im sure everyones gonna bash me for the round i use but o well. i have always shot remington 180 gr core lokts in my 30 06 and have always been extremely happy with them. Its rare that I dont have a pass through and i have never has a complaint
I use the same exact round for my 30-06, and i've only had one deer not drop dead. He did drop though, but that shot went a bit far back, and i put another one in him to stop suffering.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Spike

By "keyhole" I'm refering to when you have atleast two rounds passing "almost" through the same hole and you are left with a small tear from the second round. It looks like the keyhole of an old skeleton key. I had an OLD 30-30 the rounds would tumble and this is a much different pattern. I appologize for the confusion with the terminology I use. My greatest concern is why did I find the jacket of my round separated from the lead, and there be no blood on it. It's like the round expanded prior to impact. The more I ponder on it, it's like I'm shooting a proximity fused round (where it fragments just prior to actual impact). I forgot to mention, the distance of shoot was only 60-70 yards on both animals.
On the flip side, my father just shot a doe yesterday (75 yds distant with same box of ammo) and his dropped where she stood and her guts where laid out on the ground. No gutting necessary. The only differance is that he shoots a Rem. 700, and I, a Savage 111. Very puzzling to say the least.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

Two shots, two dead deer. So tell me again whats the problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.