HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - help with redoing butchers work
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM
littlearrow
Nontypical Buck

Years ago I took my meat cutter training. We cut and wrapped a lot of meat for the store between 8 A.M. and 6 P.M. After supper during hunting season we cut, wrapped and made sausage if required. This was mostly deer in that particular area (southern Saskatchewan, Canada). I latered moved to northern Alberta, Canada. In this area it was more moose. All wild game had to be cut up after store hours to prevent tame meat from contamination. At the end of the day all meat cutting equipment and work area has to be thorughly cleaned. Some wild meat had to be trimmed and cleaned up due to lack of care or equipment in the field. At that time we used waxed brown paper, tightly wrapped and butcher tape. I still use the waxed brown paper at home and a good grade (3M) masking tape. Deer meat in particular, trim off all the fat as this tends 1) if not eaten hot, the fat will stick in your mouth, 2) deer fat can go rancid.(spoil). If placing more than one steak, chop etc. in a package, just place wax paper between. The pieces will separate much easier when thawing out. One is also able to purchase meat trays and soaker pads. These do a nice job but increases the cost of wrapping.