HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 270wsm what am I doing wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Duckbutter48
Nontypical Buck

Its a valid argument that you want a bullet that holds together and passes through on deer sized game. Personally Im more of a Nostler BT fan. I'd rather the deer take all of the energy of the bullet. Not that a BT never has and exit hole but I've had more deer just drop shooting them behind the sholder then any of the other bullets I've tried. I used some of the accu-tips inmy 270wsm last year and they held together and passed thru just fine but I had to track the deer a few yards so there are plus' and minus' to a bullet that fragments really bad or one that holds together really good. If you have good shot placement it really doesn't matter what type of bullet you use.

Bascially for me anyway in my deer hunting situations I really like my reloads with the 130grn Nosler BT's out of the stand where I rarely shoot at a running deer and usually get to pick the exact bullet placement before the shot. When I switch over to driving(usually 2nd week of season) and Im shooting at prob 80% running deer I like to have something that will pass thru and give me a blood trail so I usually switch over to another firearm and use a bullet a bit tougher then a BT.(that and I don't like dragging my Medallion thru thickets from daylight til dark)

I really went extreme a few years back and loaded a 110grn HP in my 300Wthby. I had it screeming close to 4000fps. Everything about this load was prob not the best for what you read in books for whitetails but out of the stand with a good placed shot they were 100% drops, no tracking no nothing.