Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
270wsm what am I doing wrong >

270wsm what am I doing wrong

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270wsm what am I doing wrong

Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Neck shot IS the best!

Originally Posted by Pawildman
If you want DRT, shoot them in the neck, if possible. I try to wait for a neck shot if I can. Ruins little or no edible meat, and your tracking skills will be left untested. Ahhh... to the naysayers... most of my hunting shots are between 50-100 yds.
ABSOLUTELY!!
I go for neck shots if they are within 100 yards, are not moving and it is not a deer I want to have mounted.
I have never had one take another step with the neck shot. Ive also never missed one with a neck shot. I would estimale I have shot 30 or so deer in the neck. However with a shoulder shot they will run 10-100 yards, about 50% of the time. The other 50% they will DRT.

Btw, I hunt with a .270 win, 130grain usually.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

go to the 110gr barnes X that is screaming, instant lights out!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bigbulls
So the deer ran 40 yards. What's the problem?

If you want the deer to drop in their tracks then either shoot them in the spine or through the high shoulder. If you don't want to do this then expect the deer to run off a short distance.

I guess we can thank the hunting shows for the general hunting public expecting that their bullets should be some kind of magical lightning strike where the animal just gives up the ghost right there. The fact is most animals run a short distance.
I absolutely agree!

DEER DO NOT ALWAYS JUST HIT THE DIRT AND DIE!

I've killed more than my share of deer and I know without question that there is NO magic cartridge or bullet that will put every deer down 100% of the time.

Any cartridge or bullet produces that produces the results you are experiencing is FINE! Absolutely fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Sir you are seeking an answer to something you do not have a question or need to ask. This is great news for you as you are doing just fine.

I wish you CONTINUED success!!!

God bless.