HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do they exist?
Thread: Do they exist?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 AM
DDMPrecision
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jacob Garrett
I shot a .300 Win Mag till last year. I have a 30-06 now. I have new Leupold bases and rings on it. The main issue I had with alot of them is they move a random amount when you adjust them. Like 4 clicks should be 1in at 100yds but it might actually move 1/4in or 2in so if you swap ammo it is a guessing game at the range to get the scope reset for it.
Jacob, every time you change the ammunition you're shooting through your rifle, you change the zero.
Every manufacturer uses a slightly different recipe for their cartridges, from the powder burn rate, bullet mass, primer heat, and cartridge wall thickness. Granted, there isn't a whole LOT of variance, but those differences add up, and all change your zero from one lot to the next, and one manufacturer to the next.
So, it merits the question - are you using the same bullet weights to keep the ballistics as similar as possible?
As an example, in my own 300WSM, I tried 3 different bullet weights - 150, 165/168, and 180 grains - to see which my rifle liked the best. Turns out that it likes the Winchester CXT 168 grain (Combined Technology bullet)...but not too sure of which powder was used and Winchester wouldn't tell me.

I've had Leupold scopes for many, many years.
Aside from changing ammunition that you're putting through it, I can't understand for myself how you're changing your zero that dramatically from year to year.
If you're that unhappy with your Leupold optics, send me a PM, and if you'd consider it, I'll buy them from you, so you can have some coin to put into something that you will enjoy shooting.