HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Baiting-Yes or No?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Duckbutter48
Nontypical Buck

Folks that think baiting is like shooting fish in a barrel may be surprised. I have one ladder stand I bait and also use my climber to hunt patterns when bow hunting.

The biggest thing with bait is usually you arent getting a shot at a half decent buck. They just seem to know not to come into the pile and the deer that do come in often will do a better job of noticing you are in the stand when you are, since they know what it smells like and looks like when you are not there.

It really depends though, baiting for a lot of folks isnt like you see on TV when some 500lbs feeder next to a water hole on a 500 acre ranch in Texas. Lots of folks may only have a few acres to hunt in hardwoods and if this isnt the deers usual stomping grounds they have to do what they can to bring deer to them. Not everyone has an area to stalk deer, some folks don't have 500 options of where to use their climbers. Heck a lot folks work hard and get 3 hours a week to hunt and properly scouting just isn't in the cards for them. And yes some guys just don't care, dump a truck load of apples and kill everything that comes into them.

Im of the mentality that I dont care what other hunters do or don't do. Baiting is legal in my state but X-bows are not. I know some guys that use them any way and really I don't care what they do or don't do in the woods. As long as they leave me alone they could tie up live doe in heat and it wouldnt bother me. I just like minding my own business for the most part.