HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New To Treestand Hunting. Tips
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
bscofield
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DannyD
1. When on the ground it was easy to peel or add layers of clothing as the weather changes. How is this accomplished in a tree stand?
Don't count on working with your pants too much. As far as your upper parts go, just have a plan worked out for what you're going to do with the layers. Get some hooks or something ahead of time (look for the kind that you don't have to screw in!)

2. Obviously you pull up your bow. Do you pull up your backpack?
I usually attach my pack to the same line and pull it up with my bow or gun.

3. There is a rope that connects the seat and the foot rest (so the footrest doesn't fall away. Do you just tie it on to each piece or do you use some "clip system" for ease of use?
I tie it on and leave it on. Not something you ever want to forget to have attached (I've used it several times).

4. There is a pressure release foot strap that comes with the HSS. Do you attach it or should you try and connect it after you fall? If you attach it do you let it hang or roll it up and put in a pocket?
no clue...

5. Where do you attach the pull rope as you climb that is attached to your bow on the ground?
I attach the pull rope to the top piece of the climber because that's where it's easiest to reach once I get up and settled. Reaching down to the lower unit for that string is a pain in the butt.

6. Being new to this, how long will it take me to ascend say 17'? how about once i get the hang of it? (please keep in mind i will also be climbing using the HSS all the way up)
17' at the beginning? probably only about 5 mins. or so (not counting adjusting the harness because I don't know how the hss works). What you want to keep in mind when hunting (as opposed to practicing) is how fast you go because you'll work up a good sweat. After you get used to it, depending on your pace because of the sweat factor, a few minutes is pretty normal but I take a little longer to cool down, listen, etc.

7. The instructions to the climber tell me to sit on the removable shooting rail as i climb. Well, it is removable and i don't want to use it for bow. There are no instructions on how to ascend without sitting on the rail. What do i do?

Thank You,
Dan
Most removable rails I've seen are easy enough to remove in the field. Use it to climb and then take it off and lower it back down to the ground with your rope after you've pulled up your gear. I don't use my rail to climb though. My main concern while climbing is usually noise (after safety, obviously). So I'm usually making much larger strides than I can if I sit on the rail. But even then, now that I think about it, I guess I'm off/on, off/on...

Last edited by bscofield; 10-25-2010 at 11:21 AM.