HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New To Treestand Hunting. Tips
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
DannyD
Nontypical Buck

Default New To Treestand Hunting. Tips

This will be my 6th season of hunting. I've always hunted from the ground but yesterday I bought my first climber. I also bought the Hunters Safety System Restraint System

I have many questions and i'm sure some of them are quite elementary so bear with me.

1. When on the ground it was easy to peel or add layers of clothing as the weather changes. How is this accomplished in a tree stand?

2. Obviously you pull up your bow. Do you pull up your backpack?

3. There is a rope that connects the seat and the foot rest (so the footrest doesn't fall away. Do you just tie it on to each piece or do you use some "clip system" for ease of use?

4. There is a pressure release foot strap that comes with the HSS. Do you attach it or should you try and connect it after you fall? If you attach it do you let it hang or roll it up and put in a pocket?

5. Where do you attach the pull rope as you climb that is attached to your bow on the ground?

6. Being new to this, how long will it take me to ascend say 17'? how about once i get the hang of it? (please keep in mind i will also be climbing using the HSS all the way up)

7. The instructions to the climber tell me to sit on the removable shooting rail as i climb. Well, it is removable and i don't want to use it for bow. There are no instructions on how to ascend without sitting on the rail. What do i do?

Thank You,
Dan