HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default Wounded Deer Tonight 10/18 Your Thoughts?

Hopefully you guys can give me a little help tonight. Got out of the woods a little bit ago and haven't had this situation bow hunting yet (Only a few years bowhunting but gun hunting for 20 yrs).

After a 3 months of nothing on my trail cam other than a few small bucks and not one doe, tonight a huge 10 pt comes in...and well to save the story since there is no deer to speak of, I took a shot close to sunset. In short, it was a 20 yard shot, broadside, (maybe a few degrees either way but no where near quarter towards me or away) but I believe it to be broadside. Well, I didnt get a good look at the hit but had the pin on his vitals and a tree blocking all of his stomach and guts so I don't believe I hit there. Well, After waiting 30 mins, got out of my tree and and after about 8 feet I find a broken arrow (picture below). I only went about 10 feet further with my flashlight and decided to back out. I didn't spot any blood in those 10 feet so I wasn't going to risk it and keep pushing. Since I can't give an accurate description on the exact spot of impact, I thought I'd show some pictures and see what everyone thinks. Its going to be a long sleepless night and a sick day at work tomorrow. Hopefully by the pictures some more experience bowhunters might be able to assist.

My thoughts (and mean really nothing) is that I went in a little forward, and the arrow hit the other shoulder bone, just a thought but haven't had an arrow break off before)

Also, I shoot #65 pd draw weight and 29 inch draw if that helps. Shooting thunderheads as well. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.
Thanks everyone.

First Picture shows the penetration compared to my other arrow with brodhead. I have a light aroow drawn on the broken arrow to show where I have blood to then a few strands of hair.

Second picture is total length of arrows.

Third is the picture of the broken arrow with an arrow showing penetration (just a little closer)