HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my first experience!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
critterkiller88
Spike

Default my first experience!

well ive been hunting public land this year, and being my first year i havent seen a deer yet so i was getting bummed. i have a family friend with a small amount of land that he said i could try out, he says he sees deer alot so i figured id check it out. i watched this week from the road and a big doe would walk this tree line going from east to west right at dusk every night. so i set up on the ground hiding in some thickets, i was gonna let her pass and take my shot. well today she wasnt there. im facing the field with thickets and tall grass to my back, and i hear something walkin. sounded like a coyote sneakin around and it was close. i look to my 6 and dont see anything. then i hear a snort. look back around and this big doe is staring me down shes about 8 yards away. shes stompin and snortin and just standing there. i waited for her to turn around and when she did i stood and drew back, and when she gave me the shot at about 25 yards i took it. but i ended up hitting the thickets in front of her and did not connect. lesson learned on that one but what a first experience! i thought my heart was going to come out of my chest! good luck to everyone this season!